It made the rounds in the media this week that Ashley Young and Manchester United are still negotiating a contract extension. Let’s take a look at the other Reds who are in the last year of their deals.
In goal, only Sam Johnstone has a contract past the end of this campaign. As for the others:
- David de Gea – Will he stay or will he go? The club have offered a huge deal for Dave to stay, but is it possible that Real Madrid will now wait until January to get their man on a pre-contract? Let’s hope not.
- Victor Valdes – Now available after a fall-out with Louis van Gaal.
- Anders Lindegaard – Looked to be headed for the exit prior to the Valdes situation changing. With the club reportedly sniffing around other keepers, he may still leave before the window shuts.
Two defenders now only have one year remaining following the Phil Jones contract extension:
- Rafael – The popular Brazilian has been told to go. The fans don’t want him to, but it seems inevitable.
- Jonny Evans – The Northern Irishman may divide opinion – but with the possibility of Daley Blind playing more centre half and the club supposedly in the market for an upgrade this may be the time for new pastures.
In midfield, there are two situations to resolve:
- Michael Carrick – Soon to be 34, Carrick was notable in his absence when he was injured last season. Now fit again, his playing time is likely to diminish with the arrivals of Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin. If he’s willing to accept a less prominent role, I think he’ll be offered another year.
- Nick Powell – The once bright young thing seems destined to leave. Still only 21, he should be kicking on. But he’s not on the USA tour and was sent home early from his loan spell with Leicester City last season. See ya, Nick.
As MUFC continue to hunt for forward reinforcements, let’s not forget the Little Pea:
- Chicharito – Many supporters would like the Mexican to get another shot. It remains to be seen what the manager wants, but he’s always been handy off the bench. If his injury is serious, he may end up staying until January in any event.
There’s still more than a month of transfer window left, how many of these players do you think will stay? Join the convo on Twitter!